Frequently Asked Questions about the Full-Year Master's Degree

Who is eligible to apply?

Candidates with at least three years of full-time work experience, including experience in non-public schools, are eligible to apply. Experience may include teaching, admissions, student life, development, or other administrative work. Exceptions to this policy may be granted in special circumstances. Candidates with questions about their eligibility should contact the Klingenstein Center.

Back to Top

How do I apply?

The Klingenstein Center is a part of Teachers College, Columbia University and applications for the master's degree program are made through the Teachers College Admission Office.  For detailed information on the application process, please review the Application Process and Deadlines page for this program. 

Back to Top

When are the admissions deadlines?

The extended deadline for complete applications to the full-year master’s degree program is  June 1, 2020. Candidates seeking to apply after that date the following fall should contact the Klingenstein Center.

Back to Top

Are scholarships or financial aid available?

Yes. Thanks to alumni support of the annual Scholars Fund and the generosity of foundations and the Klingenstein family, many students receive aid. The Klingenstein Center has generous scholarship funds and awards over $1 million annually to support students across its programs. Klingenstein Scholarships are need and merit-based; visit the Funding Your Education page for more information.

Back to Top

Is housing available?

Yes. Housing is available for full-time graduate students through the Office of Residential Services, Teachers College, Columbia University. Applicants are encouraged to apply for on-campus housing as soon as possible once accepted to the program. Visit the Living in NYC page for more information.

Back to Top

When will I be notified of an admissions decision?

Notifications of admissions decisions are sent via email by the Teachers College Office of Admissions by March 20th for all applicants who submitted their applications by the January 15th priority deadline. If you have questions or concerns about the timing of your admissions decision, please contact the Klingenstein Center.

Back to Top

Are there special requirements for international applicants?

Yes. International applicants are encouraged to carefully review the International Applicants section of the Teachers College Admissions website.

  • International students must hold the equivalent of a U.S. baccalaureate degree in order to be eligible for admission to Teachers College. Transcripts must be submitted for an equivalency evaluation via World Education Services (WES) or Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE). 
  • Applicants whose undergraduate degree was from an international institution where English was not the language may be required to achieve a successful score on the TOEFL or IELTS exam.
  • International students may need to obtain a visa to study in the United States.

Back to Top

May I submit additional letters of reference?

Yes. It is fine to submit additional letters of reference from colleagues and Klingenstein alumni who know your work from a variety of perspectives. You are required to submit two letters with your application and may send a third letter through the online application system. Please have any additional letters of recommendation sent directly to the Klingenstein Center.

Back to Top

Is an interview a required component of the application?

No. An interview is not a part of the application process, but the Klingenstein Center welcomes visits from prospective students. Email the Center to schedule your visit.

Back to Top

Can I transfer credits from previous graduate work?

An M.A. degree is awarded upon completion of a 32-credit program at Teachers College that does not include any transfer credits from previous graduate work outside Teachers College.

Students with previous graduate work can earn an Ed.M. degree by transferring a maximum of 30 qualified credits. Students are required to complete the Teachers College paperwork for review and approval of transfer credits. Please note that only graduate courses which have been (1) completed with grades of B or higher, (2) submitted on an official transcript from a regionally accredited institution and (3) granted/assigned credit on the transcript of that institution, may be considered for transfer credit.

Back to Top


KlingensteinCenter Teachers College Columbia University

Contact Us
525 West 120th Street
New York, NY 10027

Have a question or want more information about our programs?

Fill out our contact form and a member of our team will respond promptly.